A 2 day Refresher Course is to be completed to refresh and update first aid skills for candidates with a valid first aid certificate that is up for renewal. (First Aiders whose certificates have expired must attend the 3-day course to regain their qualification). After successful completion of the course and examination (75% pass mark required), a certificate is then issued qualifying them to continue in the role of First Aider for a further three years.
Aims & Objectives
To update the candidate’s first aid skills and knowledge, and to enable people to carry out appropriate first aid in an emergency situation. Attendance on this course is open to holders of a valid First Aid at Work Certificate issued under the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
First aid at work certificates are valid for three years and a two-day qualification course must be carried out within one month of expiry. Don’t leave it any longer or you’ll have to take a full first aid at work course.
|Welcome & Introduction
CPR Skill Station
Heart Attack & Angina
Wounds & Bleeding (inc.
Catastrophic Bleeding & the
use of Tourniquets &
Burns & Scalds
Asphyxia – Choking, Asthma, Anaphylaxis, Poisoning
Fractures, Strains & Sprains
Eye & Head Injuries
Assessment – 12pm onwards:-
Written Exam Paper
(75% Pass Mark required to continue to next
Practical & Oral Assessments
On completion of training, successful candidates should be able to:
- Provide emergency first aid at work
- Administer first aid to a casualty with:
- injuries to bones, muscles and joints, including suspected spinal injuries
- chest injuries
- burns and scalds
- eye injuries
- sudden poisoning
- anaphylactic shock
- Recognise the presence of major illness and provide appropriate first aid
- Understand the role of the first-aider including reference to:
- the importance of preventing cross-infection
- the need for recording incidents and actions
- use of available equipment
- Assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is unconscious (including seizure)
- Administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
- Provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries
On successful completion of the course and exam, a certificate will be issued valid for 3 years.
Cost of Training
The cost of training is £170.00 + vat.