The 2-day Paediatric First Aid training course enhances the knowledge and skills of course participants in regard to their responsibilities and associated actions as Paediatric First Aiders.
Aims & Objectives
The aim of this course is to provide these persons with a sound knowledge and understanding of First Aid procedures when working with children and babies, along with the ability to recognise and treat many childhood conditions and illnesses. Although the majority of First Aid procedures are similar to those used in adult First Aid there are substantial differences in the protocols for resuscitation, choking, casualty handling and incident management.
The Paediatric First Aid Course is recognised by Ofsted for Early Years (EYFS) and meets Childcare Registration requirements.
Who should attend?
This 2-day Paediatric First Aid Course is suitable for newly qualified level two or three early years childcare staff, child minders, nursery & school staff and anybody who deals with children or who wants a more in depth course on paediatric first aid training for children and infants.
Asthma & Diabetic Emergencies
Bites & Stings
Burns & Scalds
(eg. Measles, Meningitis, Croup)
CPR for Baby & Infant
Dressings & Bandages
First Aid Kits
Foreign Objects in nose & ears
Recording of incidents/injuries
Sprains, Strains & Fractures
Treatment of an Unconscious Casualty (Recovery Position)
On completion of training, successful candidates should be able to:
- Assess an emergency situation, and prioritise what action to take
- Help a baby or child who is unresponsive and breathing normally
- Help a baby or child who is unresponsive and not breathing normally
- Help a baby or child who is having a seizure
- Help a baby or child who is choking
- Help a baby or child who is bleeding
- Help a baby or child who is suffering from shock caused by severe blood loss (hypovolemic shock)
- Help a baby or child who is suffering from anaphylactic shock
- Help a baby or child who has had an electric shock
- Help a baby or child who has burns or scalds
- Help a baby or child who has a suspected fracture
- Help a baby or child with head, neck or back injuries
- Help a baby or child who is suspected of being poisoned
- Help a baby or child with a foreign body in eyes, ears or nose
- Help a baby or child with an eye injury
- Help a baby or child with a bite or sting
- Help a baby or child who is suffering from the effects of extreme heat or cold
- Help a baby or child having: a diabetic emergency; an asthma attack; an allergic reaction; meningitis; and/or febrile convulsions
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the paediatric first aider (including appropriate contents of a first aid box and the need for recording accidents and incidents)
Assessment & Certification
Practical skills are assessed by continuous observation by the trainer and there is a written assessment paper to check knowledge/understanding.
On successful completion of the course and assessment, a certificate will be issued valid for 3 years.
Cost of Training
The cost of training is £150.00 + vat per person. Block bookings are available upon request.